- Aprox. 5 cups Yellow Onions (4-5 Medium onions)
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Aminos (or 1/3 cup soy sauce)
- 1 Tbsp Savory Seasoning
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 10 cups water or broth
- Roughly chop onions. Saute over medium heat until soft.
- Add garlic and a pinch of salt. Keep sauteing until onions are translucent.
- Mix in balsamic vinegar and aminos. Cook for 5-10 minutes to thicken.
- Add savory, thyme, and water/broth.
- Cook over medium low for a minimum of 45 minutes. BUT, it really tastes best when cooked for 2.5-3 hours. The longer you let the soup cook, the better it tastes. Time is the best thing for this soup.
Serves 4-6 people
I strongly suggest using aminos rather than soy sauce in this recipe. Aminos are liquid amino acids taken generally from soy or coconuts. It makes a richer, meatier sauce. Side bonus it is lower in sodium and naturally gluten free.
We love this recipe. Serve with a crusty piece of bread, or even a (vegan) grilled cheese. It also makes a great onion gravy that we love to eat over mashed potatoes. You can find that recipe below:
- Warm up left over soup over medium heat.
- In a separate dish add 1-2 tablespoons of arrowroot powder or pure corn starch to 1/4 cup of soup to make a slurry. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the slurry to the rest of the left over soup.
- Heat until thickened.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Love, Liv