Another snow storm, another soup. We are preparing for life to get shut down again this weekend as more snow get dumped on us here in Wisconsin. Whenever the weather starts to look gloomy, I start to crave soup. Because we have a record breaking year of snow fall, we have been eating soup by the gallon. I have for you a Sweet Potato Curry Soup. It is sure to fill you up, and warm your soul.
This recipe is SO easy. It is perfect for a week night meal. You dump everything in a pot, and wait about 30 minutes. I love recipes you put in one big container, let it hang out while you get homework with the kids done or a quick load of laundry, and BAM! Dinner is ready. Plus, everything is in one pot, so clean up is a breeze!
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 5 medium yellow potatoes
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- Place 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a large stock pot over low heat.
- Add two minced cloves of garlic.
- Roughly chop: sweet potatoes, yellow potatoes, and onion into cubes. Add to the stock pot.
- Raise heat to medium. Stir frequently for 5-10 minutes, or until the onions start to release their juices.
- Add 8 cups of vegetable broth. 2 tsp curry, 1 1/2 tsp chili powder, pinch of red pepper flakes, 2 bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender, and reduce to medium low heat.
- Roughly chop red, yellow, and orange bell peppers into 1/2 pieces. Add to soup.
- Simmer for 10-15 more minutes.
- Remove Bay Leaves, and Enjoy!
You can top with coconut cream at the last second to tone down the heat if needed.
This is a new household favorite-I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!