I am really excited for this recipe. It makes me dream of a warm place without 6 feet of snow, digging my feet in the sand, a over sized, floppy hat, and those fun drinks with little umbrellas in them. We are making Vegan Sand Dollar cookies today. Now, this recipe is not an every day cookie recipe. This is one of the recipes we have on special occasions because of how much sugar is in the cookies. You could substitute the sugar for maple syrup or agave, but it just does not have the same taste. Plus, it makes the dough extra wet, and you need so much extra flour. SO. Once in a while, we all need a “treat yo’self” recipe, and this is a house hold favorite.
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose baking flour
- 1/2 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- dash of salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground flax seeds (you could use chia seeds, but they leave little dots in the cookies. Flax seeds blend into the batter, and are undetectable)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup room temperature vegan butter
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 slivered almonds
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- Combine all dry ingredients. Put through a sieve/strainer. Make sure all the lumps are out.
- Add vanilla, almond, and butter. Mix thoroughly
- Place ping pong sized dough balls on a greased cookie sheet
- Press 4-5 silvered almonds into each cookie
- Bake in oven for 12-15 minutes or until cookies start to tun golden brown around the edges.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon.
- Once the cookies are done baking, coat in the sugar cinnamon mixture..
Makes about 4 dozen cookies
I hope you love these cookies!