People. It is cold out. I am over this polar vortex. It has been colder in Wisconsin over the past few days than it has been in Antarctica. You read that right. Colder than the place that has snow year round. I think people live here because they are frozen to the ground, and cannot leave. I need a warm an sunny beach vacation, because I am not about this cold life.
Since, we are all frozen, and cannot leave our houses; I have been making lots and lots and lots of soup to keep warm. This is one of those everything-but-the-kitchen-sink creations, and is sure to warm you up. Plus, it is super easy to dump everything in, let it simmer, and in 30-45 minutes you have dinner. YAY!
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1 large yellow onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can black beans
- 1 1/2 tbsp herbs de province
- 2 tsp each: rosemary, basil, tumeric, marjoram (or 1 drop of essential oil if you have them)
- salt and pepper
- Optional: 1 cup quinoa
- Place a large soup pot over medium heat
- Add sweet potato, squash, onion, garlic, quinoa, salt, pepper, and vegetable stock
- Let simmer until the sweet potatoes and squash are fork tender
- Add herbs, black beans, and kale. Simmer for 10-15 more minutes
It is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner, or a make ahead meal to eat throughout the week. This soup is hearty, and keeps you full. Plus it tastes delicious.
Stay warm, and send me warm thoughts!